Wednesday 28 May 2014

Paleo AIP + Low-FODMAPs

PLEASE NOTE THAT AN UPDATED VERSION OF THE PALEO AIP + low-FODMAP LIST CAN BE FOUND HERE. AS I RECEIVE MORE INFORMATION THAT SPREADSHEET WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE UPDATED. (9/9/14)


Wow, it's been awhile! I believe my last post was the beginning of the year and my January Whole30.
1 January 2014

I didn't end up finishing the W30 as I got rather ill in the middle of it. But, I have succeeded in several other things including 6 weeks of virtual training with Darryl Edwards of The Fitness Explorer, a 30-day Paleo challenge with Joe Appleton of Live Life Change, and 54 days of strict Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) as outlined by Sarah Ballantyne of The Paleo Mom. I also went from 216.4 pounds (about 15.5 stones) to 188 pounds (13.4 stones).  I've lost over 3 inches from my waist and hips and over 2 inches from my bust and thighs.  My biceps have lost about 1 inch.  I went through my "too small" clothes box the other day and found these jeans, a size 18UK/~16US:

Today
I've also had miscellaneous blood tests through the GP, but once again they have found nothing of significance and are unwilling to do further investigations (stupid NHS!).  I, however, have figured out a few things myself....

I'm at the point that I've got a fairly good idea of what my "diagnoses" are based on what we have NOT found, my symptoms and lots of research. My current working diagnoses are: 
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS / ME)
  • Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (AF)
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome caused by Fructose Malabsorption / FODMAP Intolerance
  • Hypothyroid, most likely autoimmune in nature (Hashimoto's)
  • Dysthymia with Major Depressive Episodes, possibly a symptom of all of the above diagnoses, but more likely genetic in nature. 

Based on the above, I played with a Paleo AIP + low-FODMAPs diet for a few weeks and this week I started it for real. I couldn't find a Yes Foods / No Foods list anywhere that combined the two protocols, so I have made my own.  I used information from the websites and books of Sarah Ballantyne of The Paleo Mom and Anglaee Jacobs of The Paleo Dietician to compile the list. Please note that FODMAP lists are highly variable for some reason. If anyone listed the food as one to avoid I put it on the avoid list, even if other lists showed it on the allowed side. I did not include tobacco, which is a nightshade, as it is not a food; but if you're a smoker or a chewer you'll want to stop that. I'm also a fallible human being so I may probably have gotten something wrong!  As a side note, another good resource is Monash University in Australia as they are at the forefront of FODMAP research.

Sign up on the right side of this page for blog updates as I will update this list as new food status' are determined / available.  Click here to be directed to a printable listThe list is formatted to be printed onto A3 paper.


So, we've got the list, now what?!  When starting the diet eat only from the YES Foods list for the first 30 days at a minimum; 3-4 months is preferable. Do not reintroduce foods until you've had at least 5 symptom-free days.  Please note that I've combined Sarah & Anglaee's reintroduction protocols for the reintroduction process I'm listing here. Feel free to use whatever you think will work for you. During the reintroduction phase you will reintroduce one food (not one food group) at a time. There is a specific order you should reintroduce restricted AIP foods in (note that the reintroduction protocol listed in this link does not match Sarah's protocol that she describes in her book and that I am using here). The order does not seem to matter as much for FODMAPs. 
  • Day 1:
    • Eat a 1/2 teaspoon of the food 
    • Wait 15 minutes
    • If there are no symptoms eat 1 1/2 teaspoons
    • Wait 2-3 hours
    • If no symptoms manifest you may eat a normal size portion
    • You may have a second normal sized portion this day if you like
  • Days 2-8:
    • Don't eat the reintroduction food or any other new foods
    • If there are no symptoms you can move on to Day 9
  • Days 9-13:
    • If there are no symptoms you can eat a full portion or more each day. This step is due to the fact that FODMAPs can be cumulative in their effect (eg. you may be able to eat it once in awhile, but not every day, or you may be able to eat one FODMAP a day, but not two). If, at any point you experience symptoms, stop eating the food and wait for 5 symptom-free days before trialling another new food.
  • Day 14:
    • You may reintroduce another new food and start the process again. 
Some foods should never be reintroduced such as gluten, artificial sweeteners, vegetable oils and processed foods (to name only a few). Sugars should always only be eaten in moderation.  

Currently, I'm eating off the YES and LIMIT/CAUTIOUS columns as I'm going to be visiting home in the States the beginning of July. As such I can't do a full elimination and reintroduction process right now.  Full disclosure: I'm also having a bit of alcohol about once a week. We'll see how it goes! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm low fodmaps and low histamine now, but planning to go AIP after the holidays. When I eliminate the high histamine foods from the list, it doesn't leave me many choices. :-(

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on a low histamine diet and I am going to include AIP I am Carolyn at mommy269311@yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. Thank you! This is extremely helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read Practicing Primal today. I am so excited to share my journey with you. Feel free to leave comments (I love them!).... Change the "Comment As" box to show who you are OR just sign your name on your post!